The tools you need to do right by your land
When you enroll in the Family Forest Carbon Program you receive the financial and technical resources you need to improve the health and value of your woodland. The forest management practices available to forest owners in Maryland, Pennsylvania and West Virginia are designed to promote sustainable forest management, resulting in higher quality timber, improved wildlife habitat and increased carbon storage.
MarylandAllegany County Carroll County Frederick County Garrett County Washington County
West VirginiaAll counties
Basic Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for these practices, you should:
- Have forested property in Pennsylvania, West Virginia or select counties in western Maryland (Allegany, Carroll, Frederick, Garrett and Washington).
- Own 30 or more acres of non-planted, naturally regenerating trees on your property.
- Have the legal right to harvest on your land.
- Be able to commit to a 20-year agreement.
The Family Forest Carbon Program is continuing to expand into new regions. If you would like to know when we open enrollment in your area, please join our mailing list.
Forest Management Practices
The forest management practice currently available to landowners in Maryland, Pennsylvania and West Virginia is called Growing Mature Forests:
This practice is designed to help you grow a more robust forest through sustainable management and harvesting.
The current payment range for Growing Mature Forests is $160-$295/acre over the 20-year enrollment period. Your exact payment is calculated based on the conditions of your forest and the potential for additional carbon sequestration.
This practice requires landowners to engage only in sustainable harvesting, such as salvage harvesting for personal use like firewood. High-grading and select cuts are prohibited.
Is This Program Right For You?
The program is a good fit for landowners who:
- Want professional guidance in managing their land sustainably
- Need a Forest Management Plan or to have their existing plan updated
- Could benefit from financial assistance with covering the cost of owning and caring for their land
- Understand the financial and ecological benefits to allowing their forest to mature before their next harvest
- Would like management flexibility (ie. the option to do some sustainable harvesting)
- Care for the planet and would like to join a community of likeminded landowners in their region
Meet Our Foresters
Ready to get started? Check your eligibility below or give our team a call at (844) 790-0045.