The tools you need to do right by your land
When you enroll in the Family Forest Carbon Program you receive the financial and technical resources you need to improve the health and value of your woodland. The forest management practices available to forest owners in the Northeast are designed to promote sustainable forest management, resulting in higher quality timber, improved wildlife habitat and increased carbon storage.
MaineAll counties in Maine
New HampshireAll counties in New Hampshire
VermontAll counties in Vermont
MassachusettsBerkshire County Franklin County Hampden County Hampshire County Worcester County
New YorkAll counties in New York, except: Bronx County Kings County Nassau County New York County Queens County Richmond County Rockland County Suffolk County Westchester County
Basic Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for these practices, you should:
- Have forested property in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York (except downstate counties), or central and western Massachusetts.
- Own 30 or more acres of non-planted, naturally regenerating trees on your property.
- Have the legal right to harvest on your land.
- Be able to commit to a 20-year agreement.
The Family Forest Carbon Program is continuing to expand into new regions. If you would like to know when we open enrollment in your area, please join our mailing list.
Forest Management Practices
There are currently two Forest Management Practices available to landowners in the Northeast: Grow Older Forests and Enhance Your Woodland.
Both practices are designed to help you grow a more robust forest through sustainable management and harvesting over the next 20 years.
Grow Older Forests requires landowners to only engage in sustainable harvesting, such as salvage harvesting for personal use like firewood. The payment rate for this practice is $300/acre over the enrollment period.
Enhance Your Woodland is designed for landowners who want to actively manage their forest land by thinning or gap harvesting. The payment rate for this practice is $200/acre over the enrollment period.
Practices were selected through consultation with a team of regional forestry, wildlife and climate experts in line with the Healthy Forests for Our Future guidelines.
Is This Program Right For You?
The program is a good fit for landowners who:
- Want professional guidance in managing their land sustainably
- Need a Forest Management Plan or to have their existing plan updated
- Could benefit from financial assistance with covering the cost of owning and caring for their land
- Understand the financial and ecological benefits to allowing their forest to mature before their next harvest
- Would like management flexibility (ie. the option to do some sustainable harvesting)
- Care for the planet and would like to join a community of likeminded landowners in their region
If you already work with a forester who knows your forest and your goals, that is great news. Ask them to contact us to be added as a consulting forester for the Family Forest Carbon Program.
Ready to get started? Check your eligibility below or give our team a call at (844) 790-0045.