- Eligible Counties
- Ineligible Counties
County and state boundaries sourced from the United States Census Bureau in 2021.
Anne Arundel County
Prince George's County
Queen Anne's County
Saint Mary's County
The Family Forest Carbon Program is now open to landowners in Pennsylvania, West Virginia and select counties in western Maryland.
The program’s forest management practices improve the overall health of your forest by promoting sustainable forest management, resulting in higher quality timber, wildlife habitat and carbon storage. When you enroll in the Family Forest Carbon Program, you’ll receive the financial and technical resources to do right by your land.
Forest Management Practices
Growing Mature Forests
This practice will grow a more robust forest through sustainable management and harvesting over the next 20 years. Specifically in this contract, you will:
- Restrict timber harvests (including high grading or select cuts).
- Engage only in sustainable harvesting. Some limited and salvage harvesting is allowed, including for personal use, such as firewood.
- Every five years, confirm with a forester that you are meeting the requirements.
Is This Program Right for You?
To be eligible for these practices, you should:
- Have forested property in Pennsylvania, West Virginia or select counties in western Maryland (Garrett, Allegany, Washington, Frederick and Carroll).
- Own 30 or more acres of non-planted, naturally regenerating trees on your property.
- Have the legal right to harvest on your land.
- Be able to commit to a 20-year agreement.
The Family Forest Carbon Program is continuing to expand into new regions. If you would like to know when we open enrollment in your area, please join our mailing list.
Meet Our Foresters
If you already work with a forester who knows your forest and your goals, that is great news. Ask them to contact us to be added as a consulting forester for the Family Forest Carbon Program.
The Family Forest Carbon Program is continuing to expand into new regions in the Central Appalachians and beyond. If you would like to stay informed, sign up to join our mailing list.